Completing this ECDL Module enables learners to demonstrate they have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand key concepts relating to ICT, computers, devices and software.
- Start up and shut down a computer.
- Work effectively on the computer desktop using icons, windows.
- Adjust the main operating system settings and use built-in help features.
- Create a simple document and print an output.
- Know about the main concepts of file management and be able to efficiently organise files and folders.
- Understand key storage concepts and use utility software to compress and extract large files.
- Understand network concepts and connection options and be able to connect to a network.
- Understand the importance of protecting data and devices from malware, and the importance of backing up data.
- Recognise considerations relating to green IT, accessibility, and user health.
The following outlines the benefits of this ECDL Module:
- Covers the key skills and main concepts relating to ICT, computers, devices, and software.
- Certifies best practice in effective computer use.
- Developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts, and practising computer professionals from all over the world – ensures relevance and range of module content.
ECDL certification testing for this Module is performed using the ICS Skills Automated Testing System (ATS). The ATS combines the best of all worlds: authentic candidate experience, cost-effective testing, streamlined processes, consistent scoring, and simplified, paper-free candidate management.
- Web-based: All tests are performed online over the web, so there is no software for test administrators to install or maintain.
- Real applications: Test candidates work with actual applications (such as MS Word or Excel) – and not simulated screens. In-application testing ensures candidates have the most authentic test experience.
- Zero paperwork: Because both candidate testing and candidate administration are entirely online, there are no paper records to store, and candidates receive immediate feedback on their results.
- Secure storage: The ICS Skills ATS gathers and keeps safe all results and candidate, class and module reports. This central storage of data and minimal handling reduces security and privacy risks.
In addition to ECDL certification tests, the ICS Skills ATS provides a full suite of diagnostic tests. These can be used for pre-training and pre-testing assessments to help identify individual knowledge gaps and training needs.
Click the link below to view or download an Information Sheet for this ECDL Module in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.