Completing this ECDL Module enables learners to demonstrate they have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand what hardware is, know about factors that affect computer performance and know about peripheral devices
- Understand what software is and give examples of common applications software and operating system software
- Understand how information networks are used within computing, and be aware of the different options to connect to the Internet
- Understand what Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is and give examples of its practical applications in everyday life
- Understand health and safety and environmental issues in relation to using computers.
- Recognise important security issues associated with using computers
- Recognise important legal issues in relation to copyright and data protection associated with using computers
The following outlines the benefits of this ECDL Module:
- Covers the key skills needed to understand the main concepts of ICT at a general level and to know about the different parts of a computer.
- Certifies best practice in the use of Information and Communication Technology software.
- Developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts, and practising computer professionals from all over the world – ensures relevance and range of module content.
ECDL certification testing for this Module is performed using the ICS Skills Automated Testing System (ATS). The ATS combines the best of all worlds: authentic candidate experience, cost-effective testing, streamlined processes, consistent scoring, and simplified, paper-free candidate management.
- Web-based: All tests are performed online over the web, so there is no software for test administrators to install or maintain.
- Real applications: Test candidates work with actual applications (such as MS Word or Excel) – and not simulated screens. In-application testing ensures candidates have the most authentic test experience.
- Zero paperwork: Because both candidate testing and candidate administration are entirely online, there are no paper records to store, and candidates receive immediate feedback on their results.
- Secure storage: The ICS Skills ATS gathers and keeps safe all results and candidate, class and module reports. This central storage of data and minimal handling reduces security and privacy risks.
In addition to ECDL certification tests, the ICS Skills ATS provides a full suite of diagnostic tests. These can be used for pre-training and pre-testing assessments to help identify individual knowledge gaps and training needs.
Click the link below to view or download an Information Sheet for this ECDL Module in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
Click the link below to view or download the official ECDL Foundation Syllabus for the first seven ECDL Modules in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
ECDL Syllabus 5.0