Web Browsing and Communication
Learn the essentials of networking, the web, security, web browsing, searching for files of different types, and website bookmarking. Discover the key concepts of email, how to send and receive emails, and manage your email contracts.
Completing this ECDL Module enables learners to demonstrate they have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand what the Internet is and be aware of some security considerations
- Accomplish everyday web browsing tasks including changing browser settings
- Search for information and complete and submit web-based forms
- Save web pages and download files from the web. Copy web content into a document
- Understand what email is and know some advantages and disadvantages of its use. Be aware of other communication options
- Be aware of network etiquette and security considerations when using email
- Create, spell check and send email. Reply to and forward email, handle file attachments and print an email
- Be aware of ways to enhance productivity when working with email software. Organise and manage email
The following outlines the benefits of this ECDL Module:
- Understand what email is; know some advantages and disadvantages of its use; be aware of other communication options.
- Be aware of network etiquette and security considerations when using email.
- Create, spell check and send email; reply to and forward email; handle file attachments and print email.
- Be aware of ways to enhance productivity when working with email software.
- Organise and manage email.
ECDL certification testing for this Module is performed using the ICS Skills Automated Testing System (ATS). The ATS combines the best of all worlds: authentic candidate experience, cost-effective testing, streamlined processes, consistent scoring, and simplified, paper-free candidate management.
- Web-based: All tests are performed online over the web, so there is no software for test administrators to install or maintain.
- Real applications: Test candidates work with actual applications (such as MS Word or Excel) – and not simulated screens. In-application testing ensures candidates have the most authentic test experience.
- Zero paperwork: Because both candidate testing and candidate administration are entirely online, there are no paper records to store, and candidates receive immediate feedback on their results.
- Secure storage: The ICS Skills ATS gathers and keeps safe all results and candidate, class and module reports. This central storage of data and minimal handling reduces security and privacy risks.
In addition to ECDL certification tests, the ICS Skills ATS provides a full suite of diagnostic tests. These can be used for pre-training and pre-testing assessments to help identify individual knowledge gaps and training needs.
Click the link below to view or download an Information Sheet for this ECDL Module in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
Click the link below to view or download the official ECDL Foundation Syllabus for the first seven ECDL Modules in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
ECDL Syllabus 5.0